Monday, February 04, 2008

a quote from borges

"The poet spoke the poem. It was a single line...
'In the years of my youth,' said the king, 'I sailed toward the setting sun. On an island there, I saw silver greyhounds that hunted golden boars to their death. On another we were feted with the fragrance of magic apples. On yet another I saw walls of fire. On the most remote of all, there was a vaulted river that hung from the sky, and in its waters swam fish and sailing ships. Those were marvels, but they do not compare with your poem, which somehow contains them all. What sorcery has given you this?'
'At dawn,' said this poet, 'I awoke speaking words that at first I did not understand. Those words are the poem. I felt that I had committed some sin, perhaps that sin which the Holy Spirit cannot pardon.'
'The sin the two of us now share,' mused the king. 'The sin of having known Beauty, which is a gift forbidden mankind.'" (Borges, "The Mirror and the Mask" in The Book of Sand)

No comments: