Last summer, when I was in leelanau with ml and my dad, we woke up on our second day there, and we went swimming in Lake Michigan. After showering, we began the drive home, and I was sad because we had not done much of much amazing fun-ness on our trip, beyond simply catching a sunset and eating some tasty food.
I noticed a mini-golf place that ml said we'd gone to when we were younger, and I begged them to go. My dad, despite needing to get home, decided that we needed to play mini-golf, and so we did. We played 18 holes involving stupid pirates, water traps, several almost-lost golf balls in waterfalls that stank of chlorine. We played another 18, and then I was almost giddy with the mindless joy of it, though I was losing. At the end, I was sad to leave, sad to say goodbye to summer, to let another birthday-roadtrip go by. So Ml decided that we should get ice cream.
We went to the ice cream place attached to the golf place, and we had ridiculous dairy-ness. I don't even remember it, but it tasted like childhood and tennis in the summertime and random roadtrips in august when the air is thick, resistant. The whole few hours felt like an entire day of reminiscing, of feeling somehow more real than normal. After ice cream, we headed home, and I think I remember falling asleep beneath the sky, in the back of the car, with my ice cream and caramel mostly eaten.
It was perfect. And I am thinking of it now, longingly, thinking that maybe we can do it all over again this summer: me, my dad, my sister. I am thinking that no matter how many times I fall down and feel shitty (metaphorically), there is always one of those moments where the minutes pass like rain, illuminating the valley and waking me up to my own numbness.
THIS IS A PICTURE OF US GOLFING.
THIS IS A PICTURE OF US GOLFING
THIS IS A PICTURE OF US GOLFING.
THIS IS A PICTURE OF US GOLFING
THIS IS A PICTURE OF US GOLFING.
THIS IS A PICTURE OF US GOLFING
THIS IS A PICTURE OF US GOLFING.
THIS IS A PICTURE OF US GOLFING
THIS IS A PICTURE OF US GOLFING.
THIS IS A PICTURE OF US GOLFING
THIS IS A PICTURE OF US GOLFING.
THIS IS A PICTURE OF US GOLFING
THIS IS A PICTURE OF US GOLFING.
When you've run out of pictures, use words.

No comments:
Post a Comment