Leave Me
Dance with me to music that doesn't fit
your paws. Tell me stories with whines and barks
and the looks in your eyes. They glow with amber
and gris, the color of a fire in autumn. Chase me
down the driveway, all brown and red burning down
the street. You could always run like a greyhound,
a blur like a deer in summer forests. Rush out
the door when I'm not looking, force your way
between my legs. Keep me from taking life for granted.
Keep me from forgetting. Follow me. Move your
feet, we are waiting in the car outside, waiting
for you. To run around the car after high school days
and we pretending you are velociraptor, come to enrapture
us. You could always make me smile, a warm fuzzy
presence in a world of cold, blistering. How I
will miss you. Your nose on the back of my knee,
suddenly, spooking me. Climb into the bed
and comfort me when I am sobbing. Comfort me
now that you are gone. I want you to be stardust
spiraling through galaxies and forests, living
another life. Without want. I could see you running
through forests on another plane of existence, but I fear
that like the tigers burning in forests damp, you
are merely molecules spiraling into the soil. We each
build our fires high, and you have fallen.
Chase me down the driveway, out of your memory. Bark
at me as I am leaving, to remind me, to leave me.
Leave me loving you.

No comments:
Post a Comment